Blog Archive

Friday, October 7, 2011

Female Fronters-Ilia and Fireflight

This is a post that focuses on Christian rock bands with female vocalists and frontwomen(?).  Frankly, the rock and roll world is dominated by men and the Christian rock scene isn't any different in this respect.  To be honest, I myself prefer male vocals over female vocalists, simply because I like the sound better.  However, that is not to say that there aren't any good female-fronted bands out there.  There are, and here are a couple that I've run across and liked.

Fireflight Dawn Michele-lead vocals, Justin Cox-guitar/keyboard, Wendy Drennan-bass guitar, Glenn Drennan-guitar, Adam McMillion-drums

Fireflight was one of the first Christian rock bands that I heard with a female vocalist and my attention was immediately grabbed.  Looking back, they are not so different from other bands like Flyleaf, but they definitely have some unique things going for them, including a heavier sound, which I appreciate (the C.S. Lewis references earn a spot in my good books as well).  Fireflight has thick, chugging guitars, countered by very melodic vocals on Dawn Michele's part.  There are some deeper backup vocals from Justin Cox that sometimes come in, especially for songs that include screaming.  Fireflight has been quite popular on the road and has had several tracks climbing high up on various charts.

You Decide
For Those Who Can't Wait



Ilia Melissa Newman-guitar, Jessica Frizzell-drums, Britanny Mosher-guitar/vocals

Ilia is not just fronted by a woman, but is a band entirely made up of ladies.  Yet they have a vocally harder sound than Fireflight, Flyleaf, The Letter Black, or just about any other Christian rock band with a female lead.  Ilia's vocal style has varied somewhat over the years of the band's existence, but it started out with a low, edgy sound that was reminiscent of bands from a decade or two ago.  Since then, the band has shifted its sound to be lighter, closer to alternative than the hard rock that it used to be.  Still, Ilia has retained the sound of a talented, skilled band.

Wake the Dead
We Were Shipwrecks

Last Night



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, agree in the sense that I prefer male vocals over female, but I really enjoy ilia, Eowyn and The Letter Black. Actually, on my iPod, out of 115 artists, only seven of them have lead singers that are female.

    I love your background!! Totally fits the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of Eowyn, but as a literary type, I've got to love that band name! I'll have to check them out if they're good. Thanks for the feedback, Eldra!

    ReplyDelete