Blog Archive

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Who cares about Christian music?

Why bother listening to Christian music?  When I ask this question, it is primarily directed at Christians, because I recognize that most of the reasons to listen to it doesn't make sense for them.  But for Christians, why?

When my youth pastors encouraged us to listen to Christian music over "secular" music, the reasoning wasn't so much that is was good, but that secular music was bad and Christian music is the only alternative.  These are their arguments, as well as others that exist:

  1. Music that isn't Christian will encourage sinful thoughts and mindsets.
  2. It wasn't created by Christians, so it is inherently bad or evil.
  3. It doesn't glorify God.
  4. It doesn't help your testimony.
There is some (not much!) merit to a few of these, but I think that they are mostly wrong, or at least misguided.  I think that there is definitely music out there that was not created by musicians who are Christians that, by the listener's interpretation, can help our faith and glorify God.

I like a lot of non-Christian music, and I own and listen to a fair amount.  But I do think that for Christians, Christian music is better (or at least as good).  If most Christian radio is to be believed, this is because it is "safe" (okay for the kiddies to listen to) and "positive" (puts you in a good mood), and because it glorifies God.  I think that the third is valid, but I have better some additional reasons:

  1. It can connect you emotionally with God and following after him.  Essentially, it can get you pumped up and excited about living as a Christian
  2. It makes you think about your faith.
  3. Music is an excellent thing to share with people who aren't Christians.  Some people find God through music, and listening to a Christian band might help someone come to God more than sermons or evangelism.  I've heard lots of people say, "I'm not a Christian, but I still really like this music."
  4. It supports the Christian musicians who are living out their calling.
  5. Lastly, but most importantly, the music is good!  This is contrary to popular belief, but it is true nonetheless.  I'll go into this more on the next post.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I enjoyed seeing the differences in argument versus your reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally LOVE a lot of the "Christian" metal, because the "look how evil I am" mentality is just juvenile. Songs Like Barren Cross' "Here I am" definitely refresh my spirit more so than the most of the stuff that comprises modern worship. Conversely, Iron Maiden's "Wasted Years" has a message about not living in the past. For me this is a fantastic reminder to not fall in to the trap of guilt for sins past. I am Forgiven, once and for all, by Jesus Christ. Keep this blog going brother, I am looking forward to more on this whole subject!!

    ReplyDelete